I was frustrated for over an hour trying to get into single user mode on a mac which was running under vmware. Supposedly, you’re suppose to hit ⌘-S while it is booting in order to get into the rescue mode. However, this doesn’t seem to work, at least on my PC keyboard (I tried hitting Win-S and Alt-S) through VMware Workstation 8.
1. Restarting the VM
2. hitting F8 while booting Darwin/x86.
3. At the boot menu, select the hard disk option (h)
4. Specify the boot parameter ‘-s’ for single user (just like linux)
That should boot you into single user mode, allowing you to reset your password amongst other things.
To reset a password:
1. umount -uw /
2. launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist
3. dscl . -passwd /Users/username password – You may see an error, but it should be fine.